Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Knot-eye Ring



I liked the texture of this log that I had in my backyard. It had been sitting there for about 5 years, sucking up sun, moisture, and an impressive array of bugs. I don't know what kind of wood it is. A few days ago I picked it up and decided to do something with it. I pealed off the bark and became fascinated with the leathery-like texture of the wood. So I figured why not make a ring that exploits (what I consider) the beauty of this wood. I went for a very organic shape, I didn't mean for it to look like anything accept a piece of wood with a small knot in it, but doesn't the knot kinda look like an eye? I guess it's like looking at clouds (each person sees their own thing). This here is definitely a one-of-a-kind piece. I can make similar ones, but they will all be different. That's another beautiful thing about this ring.

No comments: