Tuesday, December 22, 2009

small label ring




Ebony and silver
The ring on the bottom is the final version. Initially, I made this ring as kind of a joke. it was really meant for appreciating rather than wearing. A Friend really liked it so I gave it to her. I figured it was obvious how delicate it was. Well, the next week she came back with 4 pieces of what used to be her ring. evidently you shouldn't pick up large heavy objects with a delicate ring on. Even though I knew that would happen, I still felt terrible that one of my rings broke on someone. So I promised her I'd make her a new one just like the old one but better. The challenge was set. The answer was to place a silver ring inside the wood one. That way I could still keep the delicate shape yet not worry about breakage. As long as she doesn't play football with it on. The first picture is of the new ring and the original one after I glued it back together again. you can notice that there is a clear part to it. that part of the ring was never recovered so I cast the missing part in acrylic. Now it really is just a piece to look at.

No comments: